What About This ******* Weather?

Discussion in 'Taylor's Tittle-Tattle - General Banter' started by Moose, Feb 10, 2021.

  1. Lloyd

    Lloyd Squad Player

    Erm... Yes
     
  2. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss First Team

    Bad news that the temps gone above freezing . I’ve had to switch the freezer back on and bring all the food in from the garden
     
  3. luke_golden

    luke_golden Space Cadet

    Should’ve just put the freezer in the garden m8.
     
    BigRossLittleRoss likes this.
  4. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

  5. Keighley

    Keighley Squad Player

    The undeniable truth likes this.
  6. Sting

    Sting Squad Player

    their you go again I'm still fed up of abuse of the english grammer and spelling. Should of gone to a decent skool and they're you would of been educated proper
     
    Keighley likes this.
  7. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    Wood of bean
     
    Sting and Keighley like this.
  8. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

  9. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

    I’m telling you, it’s going to piss down!

    IMG_3474.jpeg
     
  10. Keighley

    Keighley Squad Player

  11. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

  12. Keighley

    Keighley Squad Player

    Thought it might be something more interesting than “it will be a bit wet in some places”.

    I don’t live anywhere near Aberdeen so couldn’t care less.

    In other news, have you noticed the leaves starting to fall from the trees? Weird!
     
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  13. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

    I can’t guarantee your interest nor account for parochialism.

    But evacuations for rainfall are uncommon in the UK, so this is notable. Even so, locals on Twitter seem most pissed off about the pronunciation of ‘Brechin’ on TV rather than the rain.
     
  14. Keighley

    Keighley Squad Player

    Well you didn’t say anything about the evacuations. Admittedly I couldn’t be arsed to click on the Sky News link.

    That said, my view remains that if you choose to live in such a God-forsaken place perilously close to the Arctic, you should probably expect this sort of thing.
     
  15. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

  16. Arakel

    Arakel First Team

    What a numpty! Keep the bloody dog away from it!
     
    Moose likes this.
  17. cyaninternetdog

    cyaninternetdog Forum Hippie

    There Scotchtish though m8, who cares.
     
  18. Moose

    Moose First Team Captain

  19. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    Batten down the hatches.
    See you all on the other side.
     
  20. V Crabro

    V Crabro Reservist

    The barometric pressure where I live in South Beds is currently 957!

    We are absolutely in the eye of the storm according to the netweather radar.....
     
    Moose likes this.
  21. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    "It's quiet....too quiet".
     
  22. Jersey Hornet72

    Jersey Hornet72 Academy Graduate

    Horrific in Jersey, was very scary in the early hours. 100mph winds, tornado, roofs blown off and hundreds of trees down. Calmed down a lot now thankfully.
     
  23. UEA_Hornet

    UEA_Hornet First Team Captain

    I'm not surprised to learn there's so many fatties in South Beds.
     
    wfcmoog likes this.
  24. Knight GT

    Knight GT Predictor extraordinaire 2013/14

    Hope you're all ok down there, sounds horrific
     
    Jersey Hornet72 likes this.
  25. Jersey Hornet72

    Jersey Hornet72 Academy Graduate

    Three people in hospital, not been reported if serious or not, but thankfully no fatalities. Lots of people have had to leave their homes due to the damage sadly. Seems as bad as the 1987 storm. Thank you.
     
    Knight GT likes this.
  26. HappyHornet24

    HappyHornet24 Crapster Staff Member

    I was today years old when I discovered that the % shown on weather forecasts doesn’t mean % chance of rain but % of area likely to be rained on…
     
  27. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    TBH I'm not sure that anyone really knows what the %s mean, including the BBC themselves, hence no key !!
    However what's the difference between the 2 possible meanings you've mentioned ? If it's likely that it will rain on 10% of an area in a given hour, and you live in that area, doesn't that mean you have a 10% chance of being rained on ???? Or am I being thick !?!
     
  28. Halfwayline

    Halfwayline Reservist

    im not sure that’s correct. The met office definition is % chance of rain
     
  29. Keighley

    Keighley Squad Player

    Are you sure? That doesn’t make much sense to me. I don’t see how they could be so specific as to geographical scope.

    I also don’t understand ‘today years old’?
     
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  30. HappyHornet24

    HappyHornet24 Crapster Staff Member

  31. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    Yes so it’s exactly as you had first thought :). The % likelihood you will see rain where you are in a given hour. They’ve just broken that down into 2 components, how likely it is to rain anywhere in the area and then the % of the area it’s likely to rain on. 100% likely to rain on 5% of the region = 5% chance of getting rain. 5% chance of rain on 100% of the area = 5% chance of getting rain.
     
  32. HappyHornet24

    HappyHornet24 Crapster Staff Member

    “When you look at the probability of rain in the forecast, you are likely to think of it as the probability of rain at some point during the forecast period in question. So if there is a 30% probability of rain, there is a 70% probability that it will not rain, right? Well, actually, that's not exactly how it works!”
     
  33. UEA_Hornet

    UEA_Hornet First Team Captain

    The BBC weather website says:

     
    wfcmoog likes this.
  34. The undeniable truth

    The undeniable truth First Team Captain

    "So if there is a 30% probability of rain, there is a 70% probability that it will not rain, right?" Yes exactly right. It may not be "how it works" but yes if you're at one place in that region, a 30% probability of rain is exactly what it means though that might be calculated as a high % of rain covering only a small part of the region or a low % covering a large part of the region, if you're in the region there's a 30% chance of rain wherever you are :).
     
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  35. wfcmoog

    wfcmoog Tinpot

    Did you know that the numbers on your toaster are minutes?
     

Share This Page