Relegation Watch

Discussion in 'The Hornets' Nest - Watford Chat' started by Steve Leo Beleck, Sep 12, 2021.

  1. Steve Leo Beleck

    Steve Leo Beleck Squad Player

    Massive oversight on all our parts - every season we had a Relegation Watch thread apart from the one we actually went down.

    So partly as a sop to superstition but mainly because we need one, here's one for this season.

    Really struggling to see three teams that will be worse than us at the moment and next week's game already looks like it could be crucial for Xisco and our overall chances of staying up. If Norwich turn us over then the rot has well and truly set in.

    Us, Norwich and Newcastle to go down.
     
    Bubble likes this.
  2. Clive_ofthe_Kremlin

    Clive_ofthe_Kremlin Squad Player

    Us, Norwich and Burnley
     
    Jon G likes this.
  3. RS2

    RS2 Reservist

    18th Brentford
    19th Watford
    20th Norwich
     
  4. hornetboy1

    hornetboy1 First Team

    We’re so bad, I think we’ll take all three bottom places.
     
  5. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    Can we start a promotion watch thread for next season?
     
    Simon Picot likes this.
  6. SkylaRose

    SkylaRose Administrator Staff Member

    I don't think we'll finish bottom, but I do think we will be relegated. From what I saw yesterday the formation is wrong, the general attitude is wrong and we looked very negative in the approach.
    Sure, Wolves are a much better side than us, but we didn't even try to hurt them, which was the most hurtful thing.

    I think:

    18th Watford
    19th Norwich
    20th Burnley
     
  7. andy wfc

    andy wfc Academy Graduate

    Think relegation between us ,Norwich, Burnley, Brentford and Newcastle. Sadly I think Palace and Southampton will have enough to stay up.
     
  8. This.
     
  9. Relegation Certs

    Relegation Certs Squad Player

    I thought we only made this thread when there was a chance we might not go down?
     
  10. Lloyd

    Lloyd Reservist

    Brentford, Norwich and Burnley.
     
  11. EB Hornet

    EB Hornet Reservist

    When I saw the title of this thread I thought someone was selling their season ticket.
     
    Wexford-yellow likes this.
  12. BeersThen

    BeersThen Academy Graduate

    Yep.
     
  13. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss First Team

    Where's the CL qualification thread?
     
  14. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss First Team

    Arsenal, Brentford and Newcastle is who I'd like to go down so seeing as I cannot see into the future I will stick with those three.
     
  15. Chiswell

    Chiswell Academy Graduate

    Norwich, Newcastle and Burnley
     
  16. Shakespearo

    Shakespearo Reservist

    Much like that proposed 39th game, or the season when Man Utd didn't defend the FA Cup, this would set a dangerous precedent. But I doubt anyone but us would care.
     
  17. Lesta city forum m8
     
  18. AndrewH63

    AndrewH63 Reservist

    Villa to go down, after last game defeat at Man City, joining Norwich and Newcastle. Watford finish 17th and Big Fat Sam given a contract extension to get a full season at the Vic
     
  19. Clive_ofthe_Kremlin

    Clive_ofthe_Kremlin Squad Player

    I don't care, I don't care
    I don't care if we end up down there,
    I've got my beer and my free stream here,
    Let Gino sort it out if we end up down there....
     
    Bwood_Horn and Keighley like this.
  20. foxywfc

    foxywfc Reservist

    Gino and Scott have certainly prepared for relegation this time around. I’m hoping they’ll be 3 teams worse off, hard to see 3 worse teams right now. Next 2 games are going to tell us a lot. Will they stick with Xisco even if we lose both games? Lots of new faces in the squad that have to gel fast, Norwich would of had an eye on this game as their first real opportunity to get some points and Newcastle have Leeds home then us so we could easily see both teams picking up their first 3 points at our expense. Every game in this league is difficult. With lots to sort out I don’t envy Xisco


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    The undeniable truth likes this.
  21. Caskey

    Caskey Brighton Bloke

    Some of your defending has been horrific..

    I fairly confident you will finish bottom. Norwich next and possibly Brentford. Basically all 3 promoted clubs.
    If you sack your manager early who knows?
     
  22. Caskey

    Caskey Brighton Bloke

    This looks good and accurate. I still believe Norwich won't finish bottom though.
     
  23. LondonOrn

    LondonOrn Reservist

    Is everyone discounting Leeds because they’re a big club and the Bielsa factor?

    Easily beaten by Man Utd (a team you think they’d raise their game for) and Liverpool, in a performance that was described by the Leeds press as “terrible”, wasted chances to get more points in winnable games against Everton and Burnley. Might well be second season syndrome - see Ipswich, West Ham, Reading, Sheff Utd.

    Also only one person has mentioned Villa, and in a clearly humorous post - lost Grealish, one point in two games against promoted sides (although going by the stats they weren’t as bad at Chelsea as the score line suggested).
     
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  24. a19tgg

    a19tgg Squad Player

    Leeds always get humped by the big boys because they’ve got inferior players but try to go toe to toe, so it always ends badly. They’ll have more than enough for teams like us. We can only dream of having a forward like Bamford as an example. Villa we’re actually very good against Chelsea despite the score line.

    We’ve probably got just enough to stay up of the right manager gets us playing to our maximum, but we won’t stand a chance if we continue to burn through winnable games making stupid mistakes and being miles off tactically. You’ve got to scrap for every point in this league, we’re meekly handing them over game in game, out so won’t stand a chance.
     
    SkylaRose and Chumlax like this.
  25. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    Relegation watch?

    Is that what the players are given as a long service achievement if they manage a second relegation in 3 seasons?
     
    The undeniable truth likes this.
  26. SkylaRose

    SkylaRose Administrator Staff Member

    Yes, and if they manage it a third out of four seasons they each get a very good replica of sssssilva's "watch".
     
    Supertommymooney likes this.
  27. IRB

    IRB THe artist formally know as ImRonBurgundy?

    we'll be 2nd bottom
     
  28. WatfordTalk

    WatfordTalk First Team

    When did you join the COG?
     
    IRB and Jumbolina like this.
  29. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss First Team

    Second Hardest in The Infants
     
  30. IRB

    IRB THe artist formally know as ImRonBurgundy?

    Sick of the bedwetters who think we'll finish bottom

    Xisco has proven he has what it takes to beat Norwich
     
  31. Dr. Roland

    Dr. Roland Academy Graduate

    I gave the transfer window a B- but we needed it to be A+ to stand a solid chance of survival.

    I think there’s roughly about a 70% chance we will finish bottom. 25% chance we will be in relegation spots. 5% of survival.

    Can’t really moan at the new players, to make a real difference at this level for us, a lot of them would’ve had to seriously diverge from all their previous form to date.

    5% to survival because it could suddenly just click and maybe 3/4 players , suddenly break into the form of their lives at precisely the same time, when we need them to the most.
     
  32. GoingDown

    GoingDown Pizza & Figs

    Who'd have ever thought we'd drop so far that we would say 'we can only dream of having a forward like Bamford'.
     
    Sahorn likes this.
  33. NathWFC

    NathWFC First Team

    There will be plenty of teams in the mix this season. Us, Norwich, Brentford, Newcastle, Burnley and possibly Wolves, Leeds and Southampton will all flirt with the relegation places throughout the season.

    A proper manager through the door and a couple of astute signings in January and I think we'll be fine, but if we keep Xisco, get a couple of injuries and do nothing in the next window then we'll be battling Norwich for 19th.
     
    Chumlax likes this.
  34. LondonOrn

    LondonOrn Reservist

    I don't think it's that far removed from us dreaming of having a player like Vardy though, is it?
     
  35. wfcSinatra

    wfcSinatra Predictor Choker 14/15

    Norwich will not spend a day outside the bottom 3 this season.
     

Share This Page