(HC) Xisco Munoz

Discussion in 'The Team Bus' started by The Recluse, Dec 18, 2020.

  1. Jumbolina

    Jumbolina First Team

    Strange. Ivic had a decent pedigree and was giving a 1 year deal. Man with very few qualification for the job given a 2.5 year deal. Not that I’m complaining in hindsight on the Ivic front. It is odd though unless Munoz is on absolute peanuts. Or they just see him as a puppet to be controlled.
  2. zztop

    zztop Eurovision Winner 2015

    Why could they not think that he is worth hanging on to for 2.5 years?
  3. Jumbolina

    Jumbolina First Team

    The point is they deemed a much better qualified candidate in Ivic worthy of a 1 year contract. Which in retrospect is great but that’s just results based thinking.
  4. Steve Leo Beleck

    Steve Leo Beleck Squad Player

    Strange wording although they didn't include the question so no idea exactly what he's been asked.

    Sounds to me like a contract to the end of the season with an option for two more years possibly?
  5. It may be a 2.5 year contract but we probably have break clauses we can exercise.
  6. UEA_Hornet

    UEA_Hornet First Team Captain

    That’s how I interpreted it too.
  7. WatfordTalk

    WatfordTalk First Team

    Wouldn't surprise me if we achieved promotion Xisco stepped into an assistant role with a more experienced man coming in (Quique part 3, anyone?). If he's up for that, of course.
  8. He'll rake it in when he's fired then
  9. No, for the reasons given above.
    For the same reason that I have a company property lease that runs another 2.5 years. However we will leave with no cost in 0.5 yrs as we have an option to break the contract at that point. There is no way this guy has signed a 2.5 year contract without Gino having break clauses at our option. Ideally we can exit him at the end of the season if he fails (or if we just choose to, eg Joka) but if he’s a success and someone wants to pinch him we can demand compensation based on the 2 years contract to run. In Gino we trust.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Carpster likes this.
  10. Knight GT

    Knight GT Predictor extraordinaire 2013/14

    Wasn’t the one year contract Ivic’s idea?
  11. wfc4ever

    wfc4ever First Team Captain

    Just as well then!

    Maybe he saw what was coming .
  12. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    I suspect he'd rather we hired him s more experienced assistant.

    I did think we might have got an English assistant manager in when he arrived as we've done before.
  13. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss Squad Player

    If we get promoted , I’d be very surprised if Xisco was manager for next season .

    And if we don’t get promoted Is be very surprised if he’s manager next season.

    So probably his best chance of staying in a job is some kind of assistant role , if the new guy was up for that .
  14. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    Not sure how many managers ever want to revert to being a number 2.... Brian Kidd? Can't think of any others.
  15. Jumbolina

    Jumbolina First Team

    Was it really? Seems an illogical thing for Ivic to do given our reputation for firing more managers than anyone else, and the upheaval at the club at the time he joined.

    It would just be burning money. 5% chance of Ivic shooting the lights out to the extent he gets the Everton/West Ham job the following summer. Verses 95% he falls out with our rotten players or Pozzo tins him after getting promoted anyway! And even in the 5% scenario a suitor may be able to negotiate a compensation deal.
  16. Jumbolina

    Jumbolina First Team

    Why would a manager do that though. The 2.5 is worthless on his side but can prevent him moving to a better club. Given his CV perhaps a take it or leave it offer.
  17. Knight GT

    Knight GT Predictor extraordinaire 2013/14

    I might be wrong but I thought he asked for a year with the possibility of extended it to a second year
    Jumbolina likes this.
  18. The chance to work with the Pozzos :)
    It's worth something as it means as long as the owners don't press the button at a couple of pre-determined points he'd be secure in the intervening periods. There's no way they have given him a fixed 2.5 year deal. Unless he's on YTS wages....
    Jumbolina likes this.
  19. BigRossLittleRoss

    BigRossLittleRoss Squad Player

    Yeah true. So probably unlikely he ll be manager next season , not that it’s a bold statement to say that , I think we d be surprised if he lasted that long .

    Either way he deserves our support while he has a chance to prove himself .
    Supertommymooney likes this.
  20. Kenny Jackett under God :)
  21. Otter

    Otter Gambling industry insider

    Yes but it was Jackett's first job and did go on to manage other clubs afterwards. Steve Harrison I don't think managed again after us, although he admitted that he hated it and enjoyed being a coach more.
  22. True but was just pointing out that one of our own was happy to go back to being a #2 at this very club. He was also a #2 at QPR under Holloway and at Man City but has of course reverted to #1 at a number of clubs. So you never know, maybe Munoz would too in the prem under an experienced #1 that he respected.
  23. WillisWasTheWorst

    WillisWasTheWorst Its making less grammar mistake's thats important

    There are quite a few when you start looking. Our own Ray Lewington, for example, has only been an assistant since leaving Watford. A couple of others off the top of my head are Alan Knill at Sheffield U, who managed in the lower divisions, and Paul Trollope at Forest.
  24. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    Good points!

    I'd still guess most managers don't want to revert once they try unless they hate it.
  25. hornetboy1

    hornetboy1 First Team

    Glowing tribute from Cleverley about Munoz.

    Tom Cleverley wants Watford to 'right the wrongs' of last season | Watford Observer

    Of course you have to read between the lines in these type of interviews, as he's hardly going to slaughter the guy, but you can see he's clearly been impressed with him. I don't recall reading too many positive interviews from players when Ivic was in charge.

    Cleverley, himself, also comes across very well and one of the few senior players who wanted to stay and help Watford get back to the top flight. You've got to respect players like this.
  26. Manatleisure

    Manatleisure Reservist


    ISO and hornetboy1 like this.
  27. The Voice of Reason

    The Voice of Reason First Team Captain

  28. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a player say that he thinks the incoming manager is great. As Manatleaisure has shown above, Tom is usually very very guarded about whether he supports a new appointment or not. Can't wait to read what he thinks about the next guy coming in to replace Munoz in March. Tis' the start of a new era indeed.
    wfc4ever likes this.
  29. hornetboy1

    hornetboy1 First Team

    Ha ha.....yes...I thought I'd seen that interview somewhere before. Players tend to be a bit rooted in their phrases, however, reading that article, I think he's more alluding to the younger players that looked like being around at the time like Estupinan, Suarez & Dele-Bashiru. Two have since left and one is long term injured. Also using Wilmot, Quina, Pedro more along with Sarr. It probably looked a more youthful and exciting set-up at that moment in time. I think he was praising the attitude and enthusiasm of the younger players, rather than fulsome praise of Ivic.
  30. Robert Peel

    Robert Peel Reservist

    Gino's got the cattle prod out.
  31. GoingDown

    GoingDown Pizza & Figs

    Is he trying to copyright this 'fight like animals' ********?
  32. He needs to specify which type of animal. Maybe that's the issue. So far we have been fighting like these killer chicks.
    westbridgfordhornet and Markoa$ like this.
  33. wfc4ever

    wfc4ever First Team Captain

    Footballers must get asked so many pointless questions so it’s no wonder they sound so dull .

    Unless Xisco decides to ban countdown Cleverley isn’t going to say a bad word is he ..?
  34. Carpster

    Carpster Reservist

    Isn't that Deeney?
  35. Supertommymooney

    Supertommymooney Reservist

    I think he's chairman now?
    Carpster likes this.

Share This Page